Dear Henley Families,
Can you believe it’s almost November! As we near the end of the first nine weeks, I wanted to take this opportunity to share some information:
- Thursday is the end of the 1st nine weeks. Teachers will have a work day on Friday (10/28) to finalize and enter grades and plan for the 2nd nine weeks. I will send out an email when grades have been “stored” in Parent Portal for the first quarter.
- Henley’s Annual Halloween Party is this week! The Henley Creepy Crawl will be held on Thursday, October 27th from 4:05-6:00. There will be games, music, a Haunted Classroom and more!
- This party is a PATSO fundraiser. All proceeds go right back to the school. Admission is $5 and all games and food are $1. Small bills for payment are appreciated.
- WE NEED YOUR HELP to make this party fun, safe, as well as a successful fundraiser. Many of you have already signed up to donate time or concessions. Thank you! We are in need of more volunteers to run the games or clean up after the dance. If we do not fill the volunteer spots for activities, then we will have to cancel things like the Cupcake Walk, Trick or Treat Transfer, and The Movie Room. Please consider signing up because the students really enjoy ALL of the activities!
- Please email Dianna Gibson (Dianna@tribegibson.com) or Ames Winter (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Halloween costumes are allowed for the dance (or “blackout”). Students may change into their costumes after school before going to the dance.
- The Student Council Association (SCA) will be hosting their annual Halloween Costume Contest on Monday, 31 October. Students may wear costumes to school. No masks or clown costumes, please.
- Activity Period was moved on our calendar to Monday, 31 October from 3-4. Our Entrepreneurship class will be selling Scott Pops and other concessions. Please bring small bills.
- We have started a Positive Behavior Support with OUTDOOR LUNCH! Once a week we will allow interested students to eat outdoors. Last week 8th graders had a BLAST. This week 6th and 7th students can eat outdoors one day. We wanted to recognize their positive behavior at lunch and students have indicated that they love this opportunity for some extra time outdoors. We do keep the lunch room open for students who do not want to eat outside.
- This week’s Henley Huddle was our annual Peer Support Nomination Each fall since 2010, we have asked students in grades 4-12 to voluntarily make their school counselors aware of classmate(s) who may be victims of bullying. This Peer Support Nomination process is a vital piece of bullying prevention at our schools. We conduct the peer support nomination in the fall to reach students in need of support early, making help available to them throughout the school year. A copy of the full letter, which details our complete process, will be placed on our Henley Website under the parent tab.
- From our School Librarian Mrs. Guerrant: You have a unique opportunity to provide input for Albemarle County Public Schools’ technology plan. Since 2003, data from over 2.6 million SpeakUp surveys have been shared with local, state, and national leaders. Staff, student, & parent opinions are used each year to help make decisions about how to improve education at schools around the country. The division will use the data to inform and measure our work related to our educational technology plan as well as professional development programming. Our staff members are taking the survey, and over the next several weeks, your child will have an opportunity to take this survey as well.
- We want you to share your input, too.This brief survey, which takes about 20 minutes, will inform our school division on topics of technology availability and use in Henley households. Your participation in the survey would be greatly appreciated.
- The link to the survey is http://www.speakup4schools.org/speakup2016 .Our “secret word” is acps2016.
- Thank you in advance for your participation in this helpful survey. The survey closes on December 16th.
I know that was a lot. Thank you so much for a phenomenal nine weeks…we value your partnership in your child’s (childrens’) learning!
Beth Costa, principal